Raibahadur

Rao Bahadur (also Raobahadur and Rai Bahadur; abbreviated R.B) is a title of honor issued in India to individuals who have performed great service to the nation. Literally translated "Rao" implies "prince" and "Bahadur" means "most honorable." This title was awarded to Indians, both Hindu and Christian. During the British Rule, the Rao Bahadur was accompanied by a medal. The equivalent title for Muslim and Parsi subjects was Khan Bahadur.-Wikipedia

Raibahadurs are extinct now. But it was not so even around five decades back. In and around Rashbehari, Bhowanipur and Ballygaunge areas there were a number of mini palatial buildings with gardens at the front behind large wrought iron gates which used to display names of the owners of the buildings prefixing "Raibahadur". In my early years, while I was in my morning schools I developed the habit of walking around the Kolkata roads most of the day. I could find a number of those building then. Now most of them are replaced with multistory official or residential housing complexes. Those beautiful buildings used to make me immensely curious about the owners of those mansions.

Subsequently I got opportunity to see the old Bengali films of yesteryear courtesy the local clubs who organized the screening of them in open fields. I found that most of them had, along with strikingly good looking romantic heroines and heroes, essentially a wealthy father of the heroine wearing an expensive dressing gown either cheroots or smoking pipes in hand. Those fathers were very much conscious of their wealth and status during the beginning of the story.Ultimately, they proved be good supportive fathers. Typically legendary actors like Kamal Mitra or Chhabi Biswas were selected for the role. In most of those films the said fathers held the title of Raibahadur.

Those buildings and the films featuring Raibahadurs were the main sources of information I could access then and that developed a picture of a typical Raibahadur in my mind. I could imagine that Raibahadurs were wealthy, powerful, a bit anglicized and well dressed group. They appeared to be different, proud of their position and privileged. Moreover, they possessed all the enjoyments one can thought of. So why not be a Raibahadur when time comes? The child in me aspired to be one with out knowing what made a Raibahadur and was keen to know the short cut way to that glorious position.

One early winter morning my father on his way back from his occasional morning walks took me to one of the mini palaces of a well known Raibahadur near our locality. My father was the house physician there and the only son of that family was under his treatment then.I saw both the Raibahadur and his ailing son. Raibahadur was quite an elderly man long retired from service but had strong built and looking healthy. He had all the attributes of a typical Raibahadur and preferred to be addressed as Raibahadur only. We were treated with good breakfast before my father went ahead to examine his patient. The son, on the other hand, was a soft spoken, humble and strikingly handsome man in his mid forties. He was a brilliant student and was a lecturer in a reputed Kolkata college then. To me he appeared very thin and looked pale. My father talked to his patient in presence of Raibahadur and checked his diagnostic reports. It became obvious even to me that both the condition of the patient and the reports could not satisfy my father. Raibahadur ushered us to his sprawling drawing room and anxiously asked my father,"What's the matter ,Daktar Babu? Is it something grave?"My father sadly replied in affirmative. That big man started to break down. He pleaded "Do any thing to save my son, Daktar Babu.Don't you worry about money. I shall somehow manage to spend. He is my only child.You know, he has a family with a kid of your son's age!"

My father was looking absolutely helpless. Still he tried his best to console the grieving father and explained that leukemia was beyond treatment. It was the sad fact during fifties.

Raibahadur started weeping saying " Why God is so cruel to my son? He should have punished me for the sins I committed? Tell me Daktar Babu, why Khoka? You all know that he is so nice and good natured person, so brilliant a teacher. Why Khoka? Why not me?" My father had no answer.

After some time, we left for home. I could never understand what Raibahadur meant by mentioning about his sins. I did not dare to ask my father too.

Days went by. Raibahadur's ailing son died in a reputed nursing home. His days were numbered. One day, I managed to narrate my experience of that day to my mother. Ma was a patient listener to all I narrated. Knowing for sure that she was the person to provide the proper reply to my pending query, I asked her regarding the sin Raibahadur mentioned the other day.

Whatever I gathered from Ma really stunned me. Raibahadur started his career as a junior officer in Bengal Police Service. He all through remained very much against all sorts of freedom movements against the crown. During his tenure he earned notoriety and considered a butcher by the freedom fighters. Though never could have been proved in a court of law, his third degree methods crippled a number of student patriots for life, even killed more than one in custody. Never before in his life had he repented for what he did. Rather he was proud that he remained absolutely loyal to the British Government. His sincere efforts to suppress agitations through out the turbulent Bengal earned him ranks. At the fag end of his career, he was conferred "Raibahadur" as a recognition of his absolute loyalty to crown. Ma concluded by commenting," Mind you, no man can fathom in which way the Judgment comes from the God." I came to learn one of the numerous ways to become a Raibahadur.

No. I never aspired to be Raibahadur again.Never.

Comments

Pia said…
This is a really wonderful story. Loved reading it :)
Tanmoy said…
That was a chilling story. Raibahadur title was immoralised by Utpal Dutta though. He too hated freedom fighters.
dwija said…
Great story !But how true !
dwija said…
I am a little surprised by Tanmoys's comment about Utpal Dutta. He was a leftist.His ideology might not have matched theirs, but many leftists and communists of his era started their political life as freedom fighters.
Tanmoy said…
Oh I am sorry for the misunderstood comment. I referred to Utpal Dutta portraying Raibahadhur in the famous bengali film Shreeman Phritivraj. This was in reference to portrayal of Raybahadurs in films.

Nothing personal about Utpal Dutta or his political philosophies
Unknown said…
Hi dadu. . . . Visiting your blog after a long time. . Read all the entries. . . ' awesome' is all i can say. . . . Visited Ranga dadu's blog too(but didn't have the guts to leave a comment there). Both of you have a distinctive style of writing. . . .
You should also write about your school and college life. . . :-) :-) am sure i'll enjoy that too. . . . Take care
Anonymous said…
My gread grandfather was a Raibahadur. My father in fact until 10 years ago was refered to as Rajah Sahib by prople residing on and around our properties. I always wondered how that title was conferred and what it meant..not much was said to me...strange since my grandparents were Gandhians..
SATYANESWAN said…
While looking back I found a number of eminent personalities in history who were awarded honorary titles by the Raj.Perhaps, a large number of them deserved to be honored by their own rights.I did not mean to generalize and undermine them but what I wrote was my childhood experience.

Popular posts from this blog

Ex-Meconian's PICNIC at PAT'S COTTAGE at Sonarpur, on 3rd January 2016

People's Mandate