Gumnaam

Just a few days back, some TV channel telecasting Gumnaam, the sensational bolywood thriller of sixties. While I was eager to continue viewing the others of the family present in the lounge preferred to switch on to their favored serial. Perhaps, you are smiling Lattu da as you only know what prompted me to see much viewed Gumnaam once again. You are on the dot; it was not film but the memories which came along with.

It was some middle of the week .I came back from my 2nd year classes to my Hostel Number 10 at BE College campus and chatting with mates. We just heard some one shouting calling some one. One confirmed it was me who had a visitor. Though surprised as I was not supposed to get one I came down to find you standing Lattu da between the two adjacent hostels. You were in absolute hurry and told me to accompany immediately to “Shyamali, a cinema hall far away at Santragachi which was an obscure village and around an hour’s journey from our place. Why so far? Your excuse was simple but to the point. By then “Gunman” became a much viewed and much discussed film and not to be shown in any city hall. But it was so sensational that I should consider me a fool if I failed to see it at least once. You remained a man of strong liking and disliking all through. You liked the film and so I should do the same. You took me to the movie all the way and came back to my hostel quite late in the evening just to reach me safely.

Much before that while I was in school I just desired to see “Abidjan”, a film made by Ray. You were just a student then but suggested me to manage the minimum price of the ticket from my Chorda. You took me to the movie hall and stood there to meet me to ask how I liked while I came out after three hours. You made it point to take to the films which were regarded too well in your judgment. You had a confidence that I would enjoy good films. Not only films, you always wanted me read good books and good magazines. I was a regular reader of the weekly Dash which you used to subscribe. During the stint of badminton you inevitably partnered me. I always got a preferential treatment from your end. For no obvious reasons you considered me a special person with intelligence and intellect. It came to such a pass that I started taking your treatments and compliments for granted.

It was really too much of affection for someone who could give nothing in return. Now while looking back your power to love and adore leave me perplexed. You had great capacity to treat something not-so-important with so much care.

Alas! We all failed to understand how important your existence was while you were there among us.

Comments

Unknown said…
wow.....

have i seen him dadu????

Popular posts from this blog

Raibahadur

Ex-Meconian's PICNIC at PAT'S COTTAGE at Sonarpur, on 3rd January 2016

People's Mandate