Someone known to you,Sagnik.......

The sensitive and emotional Bengalis do not think that the word “Brother –in-law “does enough justice to the designation. A brother-in-law in English tends to be a brother but never equals him. Rather remains always a lesser being. Poor English! How can they estimate that too often a brother-in-law comes out to be more than your own brother? Especially in Bengali middle class household he may even attain a father like status on occasion. In Bengali literature and films the position of “Jamaibabu” is adorable-yet-respectable one. I am not sure whether you saw the film “Chupke Chupke” which was a popular Hindi version of Bengali film “Chadmabeshi”. If so, you may remember Late Bikash Roy or Omprakash doing the pivotal role. For me, my Jamaibabu remained always a special person, .Hence I never dared to mention my beloved Jamaibabu as brother-in law. I never needed to.

I can fairly remember the day we first met. It was May 25, 1956; Jamaibabu got married to our Didi. Hindu marriage in itself is an elaborate process. After the ceremony was over, Jamaibabu was taken to rest in a small room on the roof of the house at 2, Mukherjee Para Lane, Kalighat. We, the children of the family, clustered around him, too eager to get introduced but were not at all courageous enough to make advance. He took the initiative, asked our name one by one. Hearing my name he expressed “ Satya? I am Satya too. So that makes us friends!” I was just overwhelmed. I was never given so much importance by any individual till that date. But it was Jamaibabu. Epitome of all affections. He just came, saw and won us at that instant.

Jamaibabu, though small in stature, was extremely good looking. But his look was not much of a concern to me. It was his angelic and infectious smile which attracted all of us instantly. His very presence used to turn our assembly cheerful. He used to love the company of children and a good reader of story books and magazines meant for children. He always used to bring some candy for our consumption. His friendship with us continued till we became adults. He used to patronize all we ventured to do. While we organized Saraswati puja, he was the first to volunteer subscription. He was the eager reader of our own handwritten literary magazines.He encouraged when Sona da, my immediate elder, me and lattu da ventured to open a story book library named “Nabadurga Pathagar”. He had appreciations for everything we used to create. Be it a short story or an immature landscape.

Jamaibabu was a lover of sports. He remained a fanatic supporter of East Bengal and could narrate vividly important games from his memory. We saw lot of world cup foot ball and cricket games together afterwards while I stayed in Sodepore with my family. I can fairly remember his childlike excitements and involvements during the course of each telecast.

As I grew up our relation took a turn. He started considering me as a matured adult who was capable of assisting him in decision makings regarding several family matters. As I told you before, I was never considered by elders to be smart enough for the job but Jamaibabu had a faith in me originated from deep affection. He used to confide in me and I too was more than pleased to act as counselor. He was sure to ask my opinion before taking pertinent decisions relating to the affairs of family and future of the children. I am yet to be sure whether I could offer him proper lead.Nonetheless, I always took his problems seriously and alloted most priority .I have seen him to go through ups and downs from a very close distance.He had fairly large family (in present concept of course) to look after single-handedly. Yet he was confident enough and seldom used to loose heart. No problem ever could affect his eternal smile.



Jamaibabu was never a big shot in his office as regards to designation and authority. Yet he remained very popular among his officers and sub-ordinates alike. The post of accountant in the central public works department, as such, was very lucrative to persons intending to make quick bucks. But you can well understand that your grand pa was built with a rare material .Otherwise he would leave a huge property behind. In stead he had left behind a legacy .You may always remember him as a decent man honest to the core; with steely determination and a large compassionate heart hidden within his small frame.


May is the month to remember him. I first met him in May, 1953 and lost in the same month five years back.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ex-Meconian's PICNIC at PAT'S COTTAGE at Sonarpur, on 3rd January 2016

Raibahadur

JAPANESE TEMPLE