Down Memory Lane-Hunger Strike -II


Since morning on the fourth day of our hunger strike, guardians and relatives of the students started arriving at the college campus. They were worried and excited. They formed groups among themselves and were engaged in agitated discussions. Me and Barun, one of my closest friends, were sitting near the first lobby and witnessing the progress of what was going on.

During the last four days we had no visitors from our respective families. Barun belonged to a family of musclemen. Perhaps, expression of affection was not much in vogue there. As for myself, being a fugitive, I did not expect that barring my mother others in the family would be too keen to enquire about me.


While on the first lobby, we were spotted by one of our senior professors, who incidentally came out from his office. He found no students nearby other than us. He called us both and started rebuking us for joining the hunger strike. Like all the conservative teachers, he found no virtue in our movement. Rather, he firmly believed that boys were doing this to escape regular classes. We absolutely disliked his notions but were too junior students and ill equipped to defend our stand and thus preferred to remain on the receiving end. Leaving our professor on the lobby, we stood apart.

Meanwhile, all the groups of guardians concluded that the college authorities too, like the Government, are equally negligent to the welfare of their boys. One big group proceeded towards us and the leader of the group, an anxious and agitated mother asked where to find the Principal. Without thinking of the consequences, we both replied, "It shall be difficult to find the Principal right now, Masima. You better talk to Sir standing there. He is also very senior professor and may take care." Fact was we eagerly wanted our "reactionary" professor to face the music. It turned out to be a real mischievous act on our part. Instantly, a large assembly of guardians literally encircled the professor and started asking for explanations at the top of their voices. We both were too happy at his plight then. Now, looking back after so many years, I feel ashamed for that childish prank. I am sure that Barun, too, would think in a similar manner. After all, he had nothing against the students in general. He was perhaps too concerned about the well beings of his students.


In the afternoon, while the announcement of withdrawal of strike was made, all were too jubilant. All were too anxious to go home along with whoever came to visit them. To my utter surprise, among the crowd, I could find one my elder brothers. Sona da, waiting for me to take me home. On the bus towards Howrah Station, BE College boys received hero's treatments from fellow passengers. On our way back once I dared to ask about the situation at the home front. Sonada only quipped," Go home and meet father. He is waiting for you only." The apprehension which was suppressed underneath the excitement of the last few days raised its ugly head again.


Our entire family was waiting for us at the verandah. My father got us from his chair once we entered. I was feeling extremely fatigued and weak. My heartbeats were pounding at my ears. I stood in front of my father but was too afraid to look to his face. To my utter surprise, I could sense that he put his right palm on my head. I raised my head to find him smiling. His rare and beautiful smile brought tears to my exhausted eyes.


Hey, we fought for the right cause!

Comments

The previous article was a fine document on how a group of young people reacted to an act of gross injustice 50 years ago. The memories of the freedom struggle was still fresh then and Mahatma Gandhi and his non-violent ways of protest was yet to be forgotten totally. (Looking at it as a true record of history, I would prefer that you mentioned the name of the politician, but that is not central to the story.)

It would also be worth noting that the Congress government of the time, with all their pettiness and skulduggery, hadn't converted the prestigious college into just another political factory where cadres could be both manufactured and employed, with total disregard to what happened to the standard of education.

And your stern father's reaction was touching. Whatever training his sons would have got, whatever punishments, were based on a system of values. Perhaps such parents are becoming fewer.

Popular posts from this blog

Raibahadur

Ex-Meconian's PICNIC at PAT'S COTTAGE at Sonarpur, on 3rd January 2016

People's Mandate