Let there be light......

Comments

For all his titanic lifelong effort to realise and connect with and love the ‘universal soul’, Tagore remained, in the final analysis, the great agnostic, as this heartrending little poem written on his deathbed so wonderfully proves. Till the end he was an avatar of the ancient doubting sage who wrote that incredible Creation Hymn in the Chhandogya Upanishad, whose last lines are ‘This Creation, whence it came to be, whether it was made or not – only He who is its overseer in the highest heaven, He alone knows… or maybe even He does not know!’
SATYANESWAN said…
Dear Suvro, Thank you for your comments.During the ritual morning walk session few days back, I just started thinking of my past and bygone years.I just could not find justifications for deeds or activities in which I was so eagerly engrossed for years.Perhaps these thoughts creep in in some one's twilight years.Instantly this poem which Kabiguru wrote in the later part of life came to my mind.
This is the problem with this great poet.You just can not avoid him while you are in deep thought.He has already expressed your feeling in his writings.
Tagore is what Desh magazine most appositely said about him: lifetime companion, chiropother shongi. I consider it an inestimable privilege that I have been able to know him a little.

As for your musing, Mr. Chakrabarti, don't we all have blue moods like that, when we look back and wonder whether and how we ought to have lived differently? I caught on a little early, I suppose, for I have been telling people since I was a teenager myself that the only truly successful man is one who, in the twilight of his life, can look back with satisfaction, and claim that, given the circumstances, he has lived the best possible life and has no regrets. I cannot make a greater wish for you, or for any man for that matter.

Popular posts from this blog

Raibahadur

Ex-Meconian's PICNIC at PAT'S COTTAGE at Sonarpur, on 3rd January 2016

People's Mandate